Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Getting a late start today...

Working as hard as I have the last 2 days to play catch up has caught up to me. I am getting a pretty late start today. My plan, originally, was to do the same amount of work on the 2 quilts as I have the last 2 days, but I think that might be a bit too ambitious for me today. I have been putting 4 bobbins worth of quilting into the Grandmother's flower garden quilt and then quilting on the other one for about 1 1/2 hours. Too much. If I am able to keep up that pace I figured I would have both done by the end of the week, but my new plan will allow me to finish the one on Lola today and I will work on the other after that for as long as I am able. If I get it done on schedule, great if not I will just keep plugging away.

I figured out approximately how many hours it will take to complete this quilt. I am winding 7 bobbins at a time. I have just finished putting 13 bobbins in to it. At around bobbin #11 it looked like I was about half way done. So I have approximately 9 more bobbins to go. It takes just under 1 hour to use up a bobbin. So if I use 22 bobbins it will have taken 22 hours to quilt it. If my calculations are right, if I added 3 more bobbins a day I still could get it done by the end of the week. That is a lot of time and work put into the quilting of one quilt. So you can see part of the expense that goes into the making of a quilt. We all want to find a bargain but think about the hours that someone put into something handcrafted and don't begrudge them their livelyhood. I won't even earn minimum wage on this one.

On to a more cheerful note, I am going to call my step-sister today and set up a fabric dyeing play date. She wasn't able to come a couple weeks ago and so we are going to get together for a little fun.

Have a great day and don't let deadlines or schedules rule you. You rule them. They are there as tools to help us, use them to your advantage and don't become a slave to them.

No comments: