Monday, July 30, 2012

Random pics of weekend work/play

Today I have some random pictures to share with you of things I have finished or played with over the last several days.

Saturday was the annual Georgetown Road Yard Sale. I think it was advertised as 26 miles of yard sales. Tina, her mom and I headed out. We had fun although the weather did not cooperate all that much. We started out with some light showers and finished up with one of those gully washers. Once the rain was imminent we turned around to come on home. I had upcycled one of DH's long sleeved, button down collar shirts that he wears to school. It was white with narrow stripes of blue. I don't have a before photo thus the description. This is what I made it into and I wore it yard saling.
First of all I dyed the shirt to hide all the stains and dinginess it had acquired over the years. I cut off the collar and sleeves, made a ruffle from one of the sleeves added it to the neckline, took it in on the sides and then decided to cut off the bottom curved hemline and straighten it. I found the ivory lace in my stash to add as I felt the single ruffle wasn't quite enough. I think it turned out cute but I would use a lighter weight fabric shirt for the next one. I have another shirt ready to try another style next. I will have some photos soon of the great things I found during our trek down Georgetown Road.

I have been working on a new quilt for myself, the blue and white one that I dyed the backing for last Saturday. Well I got it off the longarm frame Saturday evening and I added the binding last evening and just have one side to go till completely finished.
Here it is.
I have enough worked up blue and white pieces to make a baby quilt or lap quilt. Another project to put on my list to finish.

While I was working on this quilt and another one I am doing on my DSM, I finished up this little landscape.
I shouldn't say finished up as it is just the top and I still want to add borders to it and then I will have to quilt it but I had fun doing this improvisational little landscape. I did not have a pattern I just went with the flow of the piece.

On Friday I stopped at a local antique shop just to look around and I found these little beauties that said they had to come home with me.
Starting in the upper left is a roll of golden yellow and cream tatted lace. This will be perfect to add to one of my linen pillows on my day bed in my office. It is the exact shade of golden yellow that I dyed my antique linen napkins to make the pillow covers. To the right of the tatted lace is a piece of coral and then a sea shell that says Aloha Hawaii. They belong in the soon to be redone master bedroom. You know that blue and white quilt I just made? Yeah, that is going to be my new quilt. I love my old quilt and it is still in perfect shape and I want to keep it that way so it needs to be retired from service for a while.
Last in the photo is a blue leaf dish. I just love the soft aged patina it has and I think it will be great to put on my night stand to hold my glasses or jewelry at night, or even perhaps my cell phone as it is charging.

That is it for my randomness of photos and thoughts. I will be working on finishing the quilting on a customer's quilt today and tomorrow, then to spray baste another quilt together for another customer. I would like to get both of these done by the end of next week.

Have a great day and remember to be thankful for the randomness of life. It keeps things interesting.








No comments: