Thursday, December 15, 2011

Photos of projects

I was cleaning up my email account and found some photos that I never completed downloading of some projects that I finished up so I thought that I would share them today.
The first photo is of an Oriental piece that I converged 2 preprinted Oriental scenes into one piece. One of the panels was a beautiful panel that had cranes and flowers on and the other panel was an outline drawing of a geisha girl with fans. There is a series of 4 of these geisha girls portraying the 4 seasons. This one happens to be doing a dance with fans. I have all 4 panels and plan on doing a series of these.
Here is the photo and then I will explain how I did it.

I cut both panels apart in vertical strips. The strips are of gradating sizes. It is important not to cut through her face so careful planning has to be done to avoid ill placed cuts. The pieces are then sewn together alternating between the 2 panels in order to recreate the scene on the panels. I also wanted to add color the geisha girl panel since she was a black a cream line drawing. I used Shiva paint sticks to add color to her fans and headpiece and I used permanent ink markers to add the color on the band portion of her kimono. The rest of the color is added with the thread work as I quilted the piece. The concept was to have the colors from the floral panel to flow into the geisha girl panel.

Here is a detail of the quilting.

You can see the color that the quilting added to her costume. I used the same color thread in the background area so that you would see the texture but not detract color wise with the girl and her kimono.

Here is a detail photo of some of the background quilting that I did in the background of the floral pieces.

I love how this turned out and I have the other 3 quilt tops ready to start quilting that utilize the same technique. I would like to get them all done and enter them as a set into some of the quilt shows this year. I will have to work hard to get it done but it will be so worth it. I love working with these types of panels and creating something wonderful with them. I hope you have enjoyed how I made these and I also hope that it inspires you to try something similar.

Have a great day, remember to be grateful for something small today and do some kind act of generosity toward your fellow mankind.

No comments: