Thursday, July 26, 2012

Enjoying patio space while posting...

Yesterday, I promised to share my back porch area with you and enjoy it myself while I was preparing this post. As I sit on my glider I am listening to the raindrops fall out of the trees. It is not raining now although we did have a good gentle rain during the night. As the breeze gently moves the branches of the trees, the leaves let go of the rain drops they have been holding on to. Nice. It is also nice to listen to the birds singing back and forth and the crickets chirping. Georgie is out and about exploring all the scents left behind throughout the night. I just saw her go by with her favorite toy in her mouth, a tennis ball. Everything is so green and lush. I need to take time to enjoy this view more often. Occasionally, I can see a horse in a neighbor's field go by through a clearing in the trees. This is a cool and fresh morning even the air smells clean and refreshing.

Let me share some photos of the patio. I need to do some more work on it but it is becoming one of my favorite spots.
I didn't move the furniture position at all but I did add the curtains. I got them at a local "pass it on days" in a neighboring town. Once a year they have a huge community yard sale and I found a box with these curtain panels and the toppers in it for $7.00. What a great deal, and if they should be damaged by the weather I am not out any great investment. I still have 2 more panels that I could cut up and make pillow covers with. We will see if I get that done.

I like this little seating arrangement under the stained glass window.
I am thinking of using the little table inside beside DH's reading chair. When we moved the furniture around inside he lost his side table to set his book on and to have a lamp on. That corner is very dark so he needs some sort of lighting. This table might be a bit too short though. I will let you know how that turns out or if I go another route. If it stays put, I need to add some pretty tablescape to it. It is hard to see in the photo but I have 2 hanging glass mosaic pots that I want to add a fern to. I had candles in them but with the curtain toppers hanging there now they were too tall and I couldn't have used them as they would be a fire hazzard. I think some sort of plant that cascades down would be pretty.
This other corner with the lounger and dogwood tree looks inviting.
I need to find another place to keep the extra propane tank for the grill. LOL. (I almost got it by a bird that just flew through the porch. It flew right at me and only missed me when I ducked.) The hazzards of posting outside.

This is another corner that I find myself wanting to sit in and enjoy.

Lastly, the food prep area. We have our grill here and I recycled this old dresser into an outdoor buffet.
There are several things that I would like to do to finish up the space. I would like to do something with the floor, either stain it or paint it, I am leaning more toward a dark stain. The railings I would like to paint white. I would also like to hang some sort of artwork on the wall above the buffet that would tolerate the weather, perhaps an old garden gate or something like that. For now I am happy with the minimalist look it has. I don't want to have to worry about maintaining the back porch or that something might get damaged by being outside. Keep it simple and enjoy it more. That is going to be what I strive to do more of.

So that is it for today. I hope you have a wonderful day and remember to take time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. We often times get so caught up in our to do lists that we forget to sit down and enjoy what we already have.

Thanks for viewing a small piece of my world and please leave me your thoughts and comments. I love reading them.




No comments: