Thursday, July 5, 2012

Different kind of week...

This week sure has been different for me, especially after last week. I have not accomplished much. Tuesday was pretty much a bust for me and yesterday was not a whole lot better. I did get into my studio and quilted some. I finished this art piece that I started during an online class probably 2 years ago.
I had the top and about 1/3 of the quilting done so when I was cleaning up the studio (which still needs to be done) I came across this and decided to play with the quilting again. I wanted to try out some new techniques I have been learning. So I finished it up and used the escape hatch method of applying the backing and finishing the edges. This rolls the edges under so there is no binding needed.

I also started the quilting on this piece.

Tina and I had a fabric dyeing day that included applying drops of dyes on top of shaving cream that was smoothed out in a tray, racking the dyes together and then laying the fabric on top of the foam surface to pick up the dyes. It is a variation on fabric marbling. Once the dyes were picked up from the tray there was still plenty that could be salvaged and used again, so we picked up the foam, place a stencil on a piece of fabric and applied the dye colored foam over the stencil with a squeegie. This tree is one of the images we got and I created a small wallhanging with it. Here is the detail of the quilting motif I am doing in the background.

Note to self. The thread choice was not ideal. It is too dark and stands out too much. A lighter thread color, even white would have looked better. I wanted to see the texture but not have the color of the thread change the background color. It is ok for a practice piece. This is good knowledge to have so I don't make the same mistake again. I do think it is detracts a little from the tree itself.

DH and I headed out to Joann's so I could pick up some batting yesterday afternoon and ate our lunch out at Appleby's, which is pretty amazing as DH really does not care for Appleby's. We ended up having a nice lunch and by the time we got home I was ready for another nap.

My plans for today are to get the laundry done and clean up the house as DDIL is coming with DGD. They were here when we were in Hawaii and since we didn't get to see them, she is coming back for a short visit. We are going to make stepping stones for the flower bed and I will be sure to put DGD foot prints and hand prints in them. It will be lots of fun. So there are my plans for today. Once again, I am open to them getting changed at any time for any reason. This is the day the Lord has made and I will be glad and rejoice in it, no matter what I am doing.

Have a great day and enjoy all your many blessings.

No comments: