Thursday, October 27, 2011

Coming together

Things are moving along rather quickly today. I was beginning to feel like I wouldn't have much of anything done to take home and show off but everything just pulled together today and I am really pleased with how my piece is coming along. I finished fusing the sky diamond tiled sunset background section then moved on to creating the foreground section with painted rock formations, hand dyed fabrics for the water and sand. After fusing everything down where it needed to be then I began to add shadows and reflections in the water. I even got to the point of spray basting the quilt top onto the backing and batting using a technique that one of the women shared. This is the tip of the year. When you are ready to spray baste your quilt together lay out your batting and spray it with the adhesive, take your backing piece of fabric and roll it onto a paper tube slightly longer than your backing right side in. Take that to your batting lie it down and slowly roll it out smoothing gently as you unroll your backing. Now flip your backing/batting piece over, spray the top of the batting, roll your quilt top up on the paper tube with the right side in on the tube. Unroll your top onto your backing. This made the basting process so quick and easy. I will be using this process for just about every quilt that I don't plan on quilting on the longarm. Poor Lola, my longarm, she hasn't been used for nearly 2 weeks now. I then started to machine quilt my piece too. I got a fair amount of my sky quilted. Tina got her piece basted together and started quilting too. She has such a realistic scene. We had a wonderful sweet potato soup for dinner, followed by a Jamacian lamb stew with chocolate ice cream for dessert. After dinner we had a presentation of next years classes here at Greenville Arms Inn, followed by a slide presentation by Gloria. This week has been a lot of hard work but we have learned so much and have enjoyed the company of all the women in the class. This has been a great experience. I certainly will consider doing something like this again.

No comments: