Monday, January 11, 2010

Water lilies wallhanging done

I just finished this wall hanging.  It is a hand painted silk piece that was approximately, 16 X  20" of water lilies.  I fused it onto a silk painted scarf that I also had painted that was appr. 30" square.  It is china silk.  I used wool batting and a hand marbled piece of silk for the backing.  This was definitely a learning curve for me since I have not quilted a piece like this before.  I tested out fusing some scraps together to see how they would react to the fusible and it worked out great.  The purple ribbon border is also china silk.  I used some eyelash yarn and couched it down along the cut fused edge of the water lilies panel and then also at the outside edge.  I thought that the yarn added a playfulness without being too much.  Since this will be a gift for a baby girl it will be something that will be young and playful but as she gets older it will still appeal to her.

It was a lot of fun to work on but as I said it did require learning how the silk would respond to the fusing, quilting and overall handling process.  I love running my hand over the piece because it is so soft and luxurious feeling. 

I have several other hand painted silk pieces that I have done that I want to do some really awesome quilting on, but that will have to be for another time.  I have 6-8 quilts coming in the near future to quilt for others so that will keep me quite busy. 

Happy quilting.

No comments: